WordPress is so far the best content management system, and if you really want to create a website without little or no programming language at all, you can use WordPress to reach your goal. I believe you have read my previous post on What WordPress is. If so, let’s begin with the Beginners Guide to WordPress.
You can actually create a website that would be more beautiful and top class than some designers’ websites if you follow this article and other tutorials I have made here assiduously.
With this tutorial, I’m going to take you through how to create your website with WordPress without any coding experience.
Now let’s begin:
I assume you have already installed WordPress. If not, read the concluding part of this tutorial.
The next thing after installation is logging in to your administrator dashboard. Type in your website address in the address bar and add this link right after the dot com “/wp-admin” (excluding quotation marks). You should see a window like the one below if you did it well.
Type in your username (don’t use admin) and password (use strong password) and click login. After you’re logged in, go to Settings and choose permalinks and choose Post name under Common Settings.
Next thing is to install a theme that you desire. But hold on. You need to choose a theme that is:
2. Very beautiful
3. Loads fast
4. Can be easily navigated
5. That suits what your website is about.
Subscribe for my upcoming post on Qualities of a Good WordPress Theme.
The next step in our Beginners Guide to WordPress is to customize the theme to your specification.
After customization, you need to install one or two Plugins to extend your website’s functionality. These plugins are a must have for almost every WordPress Website:
1. WordPress SEO by Yoast: One of the best plugins for optimizing your website for search engines. You don’t wanna create a website without getting visitors.
2. Contact Form 7 if you need to use a contact form. Though it’s not responsive on all themes especially on mobile devices, it’s one of the best you can get. If it’s responsive on your theme, voila!
3. WP YouTube Lyte for YouTube video embedding.
4. Nextgen gallery for pictures if you need to use pictures. You can also embed your Instagram pictures if you want to and your website will be updated anytime you upload a picture on Instagram.
5. Comments plugin– Disqus is one of the best comments plugin, it doesn’t show on mobile after the person visiting your website checks single page view on opera mini. Jetpack comments is my favourite since it doesn’t show their ad under the plugin just as disqus does. But then, it has the same issue on mobile just as disqus. If you think you won’t be comfortable with your comment box not showing on opera for mobile devices, you can use the default WordPress comments system.
6. You also need to allow your users to share your posts on social networks. There a lot of nice sharing plugins. Search the plugins page and you’ll find nice ones for your site. Check the ratings, screen shots and number of downloads before installing to give you an overview of the plugin quality before installing any plugin You can learn more from my post on How to Choose WordPress Plugins. The default WordPress Sharing Plugin isn’t bad either.
Some Important Gists to note in The Beginners Guide to WordPress
1. Search Engine Optimization is the Window between your website and your customers or the world. Take time to Optimize your website and you’ll never regret you did. WordPress SEO by Yoast will direct you on how to go about it. It’s simple but takes time. It’s worth it.
2. Use high quality and attractive theme to get your visitors coming back for more.
3. Use high quality images to place on your website, but the sizes should be minimal so that you don’t slow down your site. You can get free images from Freepik or Unsplash. There are high quality free images you can search from those sites.
This brings us to the End of my Beginners Guide to WordPress. If you have questions, please use the comments box below. Share, subscribe and follow my Facebook page to get updated on my new posts.